Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Practicing Progressive

I have sinned.

And just like Adam in that ancient garden, I blame it on Eve.

Hamartia is the Greek word used to denote sin. Literally, it means “missing the mark” and, boy, I sure did with some of the folk who read last week’s column. Judging from the lengthy letters my (endlessly patient) editor received in recent days, my small attempt at sarcasm was a big flop for some. But rather than defend my original intention, I will, as mentioned above, blame my wife instead.

She is, after all, the final arbiter in all things dispensed from the Dell on our shared desk top. Before any column, sermon, speech or letter to the editor is sent into cyberspace, my dear spouse carefully peruses the document for both grammatical errors, of which there can be many, and tenor and tone, where her prudence and compassion often trump my zeal and zealotry.

Unfortunately, this multi-talented woman was gallivanting up Mt. Lincoln on a beautiful fall-like day and failed to remember her poor spouse’s deadline. I’m forwarding all my hate mail to her this week.

As any wizened husband will admit, wives often provide the proper balance to the ship of marital state. A quick perusal of presidential spousal history has us, for instance, nodding in gratitude for Abigail Adams, our second First Lady who famously tempered her mercurial husband’s hot temper and probably did more to save our tenuous national union than 99% of the politicians then in office. And it was Dolly Madison, remember, who refused to leave The White House when our nation’s capital was under attack until she had rescued Gilbert Stuart’s priceless portrait of George Washington. No one mentions where her husband James was during all of this but, as a husband myself, I can probably hazard a good guess. And by all accounts, Mrs. Woodrow Wilson was, for all intent and purpose, the president of the United States when her husband’s stroke left him both incapacitated and incoherent during his last year in office. And, of course, we can all thank Laura Bush for offering a balance of grace, dignity and thoughtfulness in The White House when some of us worried that it was all out of whack.

It does seem that political wives in particular have distinguished themselves even at the most undistinguished moments. Think of Hillary Clinton’s poise in the midst of Bill’s fumbling fabrications. Kudos as well should go out to Elizabeth Edwards’ similar style while learning with the rest of us of the nasty doings of John. Of course, wifely wisdom isn’t limited to one side of the political aisle. Democrats, Republicans and Independents were united, I do believe, in finding something to applaud in Jenny Sanford giving the boot to her South Carolina Governor husband John for hiding out in Argentina with someone other than his wife.

And speaking of South Carolina’s wifely wisdom, one can hardly forget the immediate response of Roxanne Wilson, wife of Representative Joe Wilson, the now infamous congressman who called President Obama a liar in front of his fellow legislators and 32 million Americans. Roxanne phoned her husband after the speech and asked: "Joe, who's the nut who hollered out, ‘You lie’?” Mrs. Wilson meet Joe Wilson (R-SC-NUT).

With all this talk of wifely wisdom, one can’t help remembering the somewhat shocking quote from Christian recording artist Amy Grant who said, “If a politician isn’t doing it to his wife, then he’s doing it to his country.”

Now I know that won’t get past my dearly beloved but (tee-hee) she’s out right now climbing another mountain. So if you’re offended…blame my wife. I know I will.

No comments: